Our Mission is to provide symptom management and support for persons in the last phases of a terminal or chronic disease so they may LIVE as fully and as comfortably as possible.
Through appropriate care terminally ill patients and their families will be free to attain a degree of mental and spiritual preparation for death that is satisfactory to them.
We will take a holistic approach to caring for your loved one that includes attention to immediate family member’s psychosocial needs and beliefs.
We will offer care to all terminally ill patients and support to those patients and their families without regard for diagnosis, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, race, creed, disability, age, place of residence, or ability to pay.
Why choose Hospice of South Louisiana?
- Communication with our patients, families and professionals will be our priority.
- Our staff is trained to listen to the needs of those we serve and respond promptly.
- Staff personnel will identify themselves when answering the telephone in a courteous and professional manner.
- Our Medical Director will consult with the patient’s Attending Physician on pain and symptom management, when necessary.
- The patient’s Primary Physician is encouraged to continue to follow their patient’s care.
- We will always support the goals of the patient and family related to quality of life.
- Support for grief and bereavement will be offered according to individual needs.
- Our nurses will support the patient and family at the time of death.
- Several of our nurses are Hospice & Palliative Care certified.
Our service area includes the following parishes: Ascension, Assumption, Jefferson, Lafourche, Orleans, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptists, St. Martin, St. Mary and Terrebonne. We also serve Grand Isle. Please call us with any questions you may have at 985.868.3095 or toll free at 888.893.3829.
Hospice of South Louisiana was awarded the READER’S CHOICE AWARD for HOSPICE
Hospice of South Louisiana received top ranking of 100% compliance when surveyed by Medicare.
Lausex nous soinez vous!
A message from our CEO, Stephanie Schedler
Welcome to Hospice of South Louisiana. I am proud to tell you that I have been working in end of life care since 1990 and this year marks my 26th anniversary of caring for the terminally ill. As a proud member of the Louisiana/Mississippi Hospice & Palliative Care Organization for the last 24 years, I have had the pleasure of being a seated Board Member for many of those years, including president in 2010-2012.
I first became interested in hospice while working with volunteers that were trained to help people in the last phases of an incurable illness as well as the family with day to day care needs. Often when a loved one has a serious illness, it will affect the entire family. Helping that family accept and cope with end of life issues, makes positive changes in the home environment which allows everyone to become more comfortable when caring for their loved one in the home setting.
In late 1991 I became the administrator of a non-profit hospital based hospice agency, which changed the course of my life. Hospice care for people with life threatening illnesses makes a huge difference in the final months of a patient’s life by allowing that person to:
- make informed care decisions,
- live their remaining time as they wanted,
- receive more appropriate care related to their disease and prognosis,
- have a better quality of life,
- help their families accept the inevitable by communicating their wishes to their beloved.
2002 brought a year of change as the hospice agency was sold to a large regional home health group primarily in the southern states. I then became a Corporate Director of Hospice over all the hospice agencies.
I have now devoted my career to Hospice of South Louisiana and am proud to say that we have top ranking of 100% compliance with Medicare & Medicaid, which means no deficiencies in our care. Not all hospice agencies have this ranking.
I believe our organization would be considered a “Local Mom and Pop” type business. We are not a national conglomerate! What we do offer is excellent quality of care to our patient’s and to our family members as they move through the final months of their loved ones life. Our staff has extensive training in end of life care and they reside in our service area to better serve you in a timely manner.
Pain Management and Symptom Control are our focus when a person has a life threatening disease. No one wants to be in pain and we can manage almost any type of symptom in the home setting!
Thank you for viewing this webpage and if I can be of help to you please don’t hesitate to call us.